USP pushes the intellectual boundaries of students. As students admitted to USP are concurrently enrolled in 1 of 7 NUS faculties/schools, they pursue a primary major in their four years of honours undergraduate study in NUS. This primary major constitutes 70% of the total academic workload of a USP student. The remaining 30% is devoted to pursuing the USP curriculum. USP students therefore identify with the “My Major + USP” label.



However, the impact of the USP curriculum goes beyond a mere label.

The USP curriculum is rigorous on its own while complementary with one’s major. It challenges students to go beyond a major, by providing core intellectual skills which cut across disciplines. It challenges students to be adventurous and critical in thought, to have a broad range of intellectual interests. It is common to find USP students sparring intellectually with their professors and peers, in and outside of class. Ultimately, a USP student should be eager and ready to make connections across different intellectual domains.

How does the USP curriculum work?

Here, learn about the USP “3+8+1”Academic Structure, the USP Academic Requirements for different cohorts, and the USP modules available that make up the USP curriculum. There are also other aspects of the USP curriculum that you may be interested to know.

If you are already a USP student, it is important to work out a study plan so that your USP curriculum interfaces nicely with the requirements of your major and home faculty. Please refer to: Fitting USP in your Curriculum

The average student to faculty ratio in the USP classroom is 15:1

Learning in USP takes place in seminars that rely on strong interpersonal interaction and vigorous discussion. In this environment, all students are encouraged to share their perspectives and thoughts, and to learn through questioning their own assumptions and exposing themselves to new and competing ideas.

Get a Glimpse

student exchange programme
Student Exchange Programme

An exciting opportunity to broaden your horizons, explore new vistas and enhance intellectual leadership and personal potential and allow you to deepen your research focus.

special programme
Special Programme

To develop joint and double degree programmes for students who wish to develop cultural capabilities and networks in a foreign country. These programme represent a broad-based grounding plus analytical and thinking skills that traverse disciplines.

awards recognition
Awards and Recognition

To recognise student meritorious academic performance, active engagement in USP and significant contributions to the programme.

Contact Us